Wednesday, October 3, 2012

WEDNES(DiY)


Hello, Lovahs! I hope everyone is having a wonderful hump day! Just to reiterate what every other blogger/instagramer/tweeter/ human being has said over the last three days: I LOVE FALL! I really do. Boots, hats, parkas, leaves, cozy knit sweaters...I can't get enough. The air is crisp, the smells warm your whole body with a sense of nostalgia, and you can look cute and rosy without having your face numb and your rose running from the bitter winter chill (that happens to you too...right?!) Even though I could go on about my love affair with this particular season, I did make a little DIY project that will have me thinking of the summer sun well into winter--plus they look so cute on the free people blog--my very own terrarium! These little guys are so darn cute! Normally, they are either contained in a covered glass bowl, fish bowl, or some variation of the two, but I found an anthro-planter that I decided would be perfect for my little friends. The best thing about these mini gardens is that they are so easy to maintain (read: you can't kill them unless you give it some effort). I water mine about once a week, but could probably get away going longer!

What you'll need:
- a glass bowl/home of some sort (preferably one without drainage holes, but Im sure there is a way to do it if you have one in mind)
-succulents of your choice (you can get these at any garden store or home depot!)
-soil (i just used potting soil my mom had)
-pebbles

I got my succulents from Home Depot as I found them to be the smallest option available:

 And as I mentioned, my pot is from Anthropologie:


As I am lucky enough to live near Lake Michigan, I walked to the beach and collected pebbles of all sizes for the bottom and top of the pot, and washed them to get rid of the lake smell: 
Next, I placed the smaller pebbles into the bottom of the pot, and added the soil halfway to the top:
I added the succulents and some larger rocks for a completed feel, and voila! I have a green thumb!

The first picture is my little terrarium living on a coffee table in my room! This is the perfect thing to make if you live in a small space, constantly kill plants, or need something to work with any decor! 

xx, 
Alex 

No comments:

Post a Comment