Tuesday, October 16, 2012

skinny dipping.


I wish I had included a picture of a dark dock leading out to a lake with the moonshine splashing on the water and some silhouettes of bare back fun, but instead I'm going to reveal my secret to baby-soft skin that will make you WANT to skinny dip. I have to be honest: I got pretty lucky in the skin department for a while there. Aside from the occasional breakout and dry patches, I do not have acne or oily skin, and got away with falling into bed with makeup on, only using makeup wipes, and not moisturizing enough for pretty much all of college. Recently, though, instead of wearing my heart on my sleeve, Im wearing it on my face. And that means breakout central and flaky-dry. I don't usually let these kinds of things slow my roll, but I'm starting to feel like a 13 year old again. So, I've tried a slew of new products, from Birchbox samples, to drugstore favorites, to high-end Sephora samples. Some things worked, and some didn't but here is what I have found not only leaves my skin unbelievably soft, but prevents breakouts. Also, it turns out what every doctor/teacher, and most importantly, mom says is true: consistency is key. No matter what skin type or budget you have, if you're consistent with your products, you will most likely see results. For me personally, this means cleanser, exfoliator, toner, and moisturizer for both my face and body. Lets dip right in (i cant shy away from a good pun)...

Cleanser: Philosophy Clear Days Ahead. I have tried lots of cleansers, but this is one I am really loving. I have really dry skin, and this cleaner is cooling and penetrates deeply--how do I know? Because I followed the directions (novel idea...) and literally felt my skin tingle underneath my top layer. The trick? You put it on and leave it on for 60-90 seconds. Now, maybe most people already do this, but its a new habit of mine, and it works. After 60-90 seconds, I gently massage my skin with warm water and make sure all the cleanser is off. It works with salicylic acid to prevent breakouts and reduce damage of current breakouts. If you already have a cleanser you love or do not want to buy this one for about $16, I suggest using the one you have, but letting it sit on your skin a little longer than you usually do before rinsing. I use this every morning and night to make sure my face is really clean to prevent breakouts.

Exfoliater: BeFine Exfoliating Cleanser. Okay, you have to get this. Its a holy grail exfoliater, NOTHING COMPARES. plus, you can get it on amazon for like $7. Best $7 you ever spent. I promise. Its made with all natural ingredients like almonds, brown sugar, and oats and uses these ingredients to mix with warm water to completely clear away all dull and damaged skin. It smells amazing, and turns from a scrub to lather at the first contact with water. Because I do have dry, sensitive skin, I only use this 3x a week at night, but even that is enough to leave my skin feeling softer than it ever has. Proof: both my seventeen year old brother and three year old Jack touched my skin (one on accident, one in display of love...you decide who did which) and commented on how soft it is. Not exactly my intended audience, but Ill take what I can get.

Toner: Clinique Toner. I got this toner a while ago with the clinique set. To be honest, I am not well versed in the toner world, so I only use this one because I have it. It is specifically for dry skin, and while it does help spot treat and get any dirt or impurities that were missed, is also does dry out my skin a lot, so I only use it 2-3x a week after I exfoliate.

Moisturizer: Aveeno Moisturizer: This moisturizer leaves my skin feeling hydrated, evens my skin tone and smoothes the texture. It also works with salicylic acid, but because of the soy is soothing while it works. I use this 2x a day, morning and night, but also keep sample moisturizer with me because my skin does get so dry during the day.

Lotion: Philosophy Inner Grace Body Lotion: I have already mentioned this lotion, but I want to re-iterate that I literally can't get enough. The scent lingers and smells amazing (a mix of clean/citrus/flower-y/warm) and firms skin while hydrating. I use this literally all the time.

I truly rely on this routine, and so far have gone makeup free but confident!
xoxo
Alex

1 comment:

  1. how weird, I broke out this week too! its awful! I bought the wrong moisturizer and it literally burned my skin. I'm too cheap to go back to Walgreens to buy my beloved Aveeno Sensitive Skin, its $18 here! Ugh.

    ReplyDelete