Friday, August 17, 2012

TGIF...TAPAS TIME!



If the above plate does not make you salivate instantaneously, you should probably never go to Spain with me. I've already mentioned favorite pastimes of mine include traveling and gift giving, however, my all time favorite hobby, activity, passion, OF ALL TIME is eating. I would never go as far as to enter myself into contests, as I feel like that defeats the purpose of really enjoying a meal, but don't count me out as far as how much I can consume in a sitting. For this reason, and a number of pairs of my favorite jeans sitting in my drawer whose buttons may or may not have seen their closures in some time, my absolute favorite way to dine is eating tapas. I became obsessed with this tradition while in Barcelona- I insisted on only eating in Tapas restaurants while there, and now that I am back in Milwaukee I partake in this style of eating on most Friday or Saturday nights. Eating tapas-style is not only enjoyable for the food, but also for the experience. The menus at most tapas restaurants frequently change as the chefs create new specialties, and if you're lucky, they change with seasons as local ingredients do; its a surprise each time you go, and if you order in increments of two or three, you are able to try out all sorts of menu items. It is usually my experience that the next is better than the last, anticipation builds with each round. Another great things about tapas is that you are able to try all sorts of foods without making a serious commitment, if you order octopus-crostini, only 3 or 4 small servings will come, if each person you are with tries one, the ones who enjoy it can split the remaining, and the ones who don't can cross octopus-crostini off their food-bucket-lists! You end your meal having wonderful conversations about the food, and a satisfied, as opposed to a too-full-to-function feeling. Tapas are also a great way to entertain, look to Pinterest for small appetizer recipes, or adapt your go-to favorite foods into tapas form! Create cute presentations with chalk paint or washi tape and toothpicks and you are sure to create an evening to remember!
In case you are ever in Milwaukee- a restaurant you HAVE to try...

The Odd Duck in Bay View, Wisconsin 
The Odd Duck is a new restaurant opened in the eclectic town of Bay View. It is a small setting, but it its flavors are anything but. It offers both small and large tapas, for both vegetarians and carnivores, alike. I am going tonight, and already have a few favorites I will be ordering...





Meat plate with chef's choice of local meat for the night, gouda-stuffed dates wrapped in bacon (YEAH), locally -grown heirloom tomato salad.
Who wants to meet me at dinner?!
xoxo,
Alex    

No comments:

Post a Comment