Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Travel Essentials




My family and I took a trip this week to Colorado for a little adventure: whitewater rafting! More on that later, but I am currently looking out on the mountains of Breckenridge, glass of cupcake Sauvignon Blanc in my hand, LITERALLY LOVING LIFE. I am fortunate enough to call myself well traveled; I have been to eleven countries in Europe, spent two weeks in a Mayan Village in Belize, and have been to multiple states. That being said, I cannot claim to be the most efficient, or even best prepared traveler. However, I have picked up a few essential tips that I think make the process of traveling a little bit more pleasant!

1. A roller carry-on or checked bag: This one happens to be DVF, but any kind/brand will do! The reason these are so practical for girls like me is because it is simply IMPRACTICAL that I would under pack, and a definite that I always over pack. You have to have those what-if outfits, right? I have gone through the Vera Bradley phase, and have seen the cute cross body bags from places like J.Crew and H&M, but trust me on this: they only lead to agony. The smart way to travel is to drag your belongings behind you, duh! Seriously though, rolling a bag through the airport is so much simpler than constantly switching shoulders, or nervously checking if your stuffed-to-the-brim cloth bag’s handles are going to break at any second. This is a definite must for me.

2. A long, cozy sweater or wrap. These two options are from Piperlime, one of my absolute favorite sites for fashion, and look just perfect for flights. They are long enough that you can wear leggings or jeans, and loose enough that you don’t have to worry about sucking in for the duration of your travel. Being comfortable in sometimes-uncomfortable situations is a must. Also, if you opt for a wrap it can double as a blanket or pillow!

3. J.Crew Camp Socks. I have these in every one of my carryons as my feet always get cold from the temperatures on the plane. They are super soft, warm, and cute, and will keep your piggies toastie all flight long.

4. Love quotes scarves. These are a definite splurge or item for your next Christmas list, but they are worth it. They are 100% cashmere and are extremely chic. Not only do you look nonchalant and fashionable, but these are also great for doubling as pillows or blankets for a long or cold flight. In the unfortunate event that you are stuck near the bathroom or a particularly potent traveler, don’t feel ashamed to bury your nose in one of these-no one will know!

5. Tili bags. These TSA approved quart sized bags are too cute to pass up! They are perfect for storing snacks, toiletries, makeup, or any of your travel essentials.

6. Longchamp tote. These are becoming increasingly popular, and for good reasons, they are roomy, lightweight, and nylon, so they can endure the travel wear and tear. I like the traditional black, but they have come out with some amazing colors as of late. Check out sites like ruelala.com for potential discount sales.

7. Kind Bars. These super nutritional bars are the perfect travel snack, packed with protein, fiber and tons of other nutritious goodies, they will satisfy hunger on long flights or lengthy layovers without the guilt the fries at McDonalds boast. Plus, with a variety of yummy flavors, you can find something for every taste-bud!

8. Camelbak. I love these waterbottles for multiple reasons. One, they are large enough to hold a good amount of water so you are not constantly running out. Two, they are BPA-free, so you conveniently will not contract cancer from hydrating your body! Three: the straw feature makes them easily accessible in every situation: on the plane during turbulence, in security while carrying six other things, and waiting in lines. 

These of course accompany the understood, such as headphones, cash, and the like, but for now...enjoy your own cocktail and plan your next dream vacation!
Hope your week is as amazing as it is here in the mountians!
xoxo, 
Alex

3 comments:

  1. Kind Bars always cure me of my "hangry" symptoms...so hungry that you get angry and snap at people!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and Emily think a like!! Great post :) We would love for you to checkout our latests posts when you have a minute :)

    xo, April & Brittan

    http://www.evokela.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! I would love to look at your blog!

      Delete